Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Running with an untrained mind

I ran 4.8 km today at -10 degrees Celsius. I am zooming in on the 5k now and I find that my body likes it.
I seem to be finding a good pace with which my muscles and lungs are happy. It looks like I have a "milestone" at 2 km and another one at about 4.5 km. By "milestone", I mean moments when my body feels tired and I almost loose the pace and start huffing and puffing, but once I get past those points, calmness sets in. Physically, that is... what happens in my mind is a completely different story. I really have to start training my mind too, because if I focus on running, I feel tired after 400 m and feel like stopping every step of the way. I'd like to look into NLP to see how that will be able to help me. I am also trying various visualizing techniques I've learnt while studying psychology, but they don't seem very effective for me. What works for now is listening to Weird Al songs and really focusing on grasping all the lyrics. My favorite track so far is Tacky , but I am sure I will get used to it soon and then I will need something else. But for right now, if I listen to it "around" the milestones I can keep running without any issues. I really have to get mentally stronger, by having a clear plan of what I should NOT be thinking about at certain stages of the race.
So, at this point, running a half-marathon 3 months from now seems possible physically, but I am really unsure whether I will be able to handle it mentally. Well... we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment