Tuesday, January 13, 2015

My first "high pace" 5k

I ran 5.7 km yesterday.
I actually miscounted my laps and did an extra one as I was aiming to go a little over 5k, but my intention was not approaching 6k.
Anyhow, now I know I have my second "plateau" somewhere between the 4th and 5th kilometer and I also know that things get significantly better from there. After stopping Strava I actually ran home (another couple hundreds meters), I "ran" inside the elevator and I really felt sorry for having to stop in front of our apartment door.
I read that once you do a 6k without stopping and without "breathless" episodes, your cardiovascular system is ready to fuel you for as long as your muscles and mind can go. I cannot say how delighted I was to read this.
Also, I was dreading shin splints (I had this condition in my right leg after one of my previous runs), but I am fine, almost 0 pain and close to no muscular strain at all.
It is getting clearer to me that I will attempt a 10k if I have the time by the end of the month (somewhere around the 30th of January, which is my birthday :) ).
Also, I am considering this run "high pace", because I managed to get an average of 6:31 mins/km, which is the best I ever did on a distance greater than 1k.

No comments:

Post a Comment