Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Running with crows

I ran 4.6 km today... almost 3 miles.. yay!
Because there was quite a lot of snow outside but the temperatures have risen to -1 degrees Celsius, I decided to run in the park instead of the streets (I figured that the paths will be cleaner, still having snow on them instead of the snow + dirt combination you can see on the streets when the temperatures rise slightly). I was right, the paths were clean and well beaten, except for 1-2 segments which I actually welcomed figuring that I can make a pretty good picture of what trail-running would be like this way (I intend to give trail-running a try also, provided I can complete the half-marathon I am training for right now).
It was sunny outside, but since the sun was about to set, the edges of the scattered clouds were painted the most unlikely shades of salmon.. It really was a great time to run and the final element to complete the picture perfect scenery were... the crows. A huge murder of crows (a flock of crows is also called a "murder") was circling above the park, Occasionally, smaller groups would fall to the ground (in search of food, I presume) and one would run very close to them, They are used to people, so some of them wouldn't even move as I passed them by. They are extremely intelligent birds.. if only they weren't carriers of certain diseases and infections (like most birds are) I would try to be friendly with them (but as of now, silent reverence is the name of the game). The whole park had a very daylight goth/picturesque feel to it. But come nighttime, I bet it looks scary.
I am wondering whether I should watch Hitchcock's "The Birds".. hmmm.. maybe not.
On another topic.. I saw the snowman we built yesterday with the kids (D's first sleigh-riding experience, first snowman built with V, first snow-angels...).. he was standing tall and looking happy... I wonder, don't snowmen get lonely and scared at night? Aren't they scared of the crows?...

No comments:

Post a Comment