Friday, January 2, 2015

Running in subzero (Celsius) temperatures

Today I had my first run for 2015 and it felt really great. There's something really special about going for a run in the middle of a city that seems deserted, given that in Romania, the 2nd of January is a bank holiday (I may detail this experience in a later post).

This year, we finally had some snow (even if a small amount) on New Year's Eve. We are really longing for snow so that D can have his first sleighing experiences. But besides the jolly fun, snow means subzero temperatures. This morning, my phone showed -6 degrees Celsius, also letting me know that it actually felt like -11 due to it being a bit windy outside (yes, I know how lame it is to check the weather on my phone instead of just opening a window, but that is how I roll nowadays :) ). So.. to run or not to run... I never ran on a weather this cold, but I decided to give it a try. I knew I didn't have the perfect winter attire, but still, I managed to put together a decent outfit (winter gear for running deserves an individual post). I was pondering the implications of wearing a balaclava (which, paired with my bright fuchsia running overcoat was bound to make a strong impression on any creature (mostly men and dogs) I would meet during my run)... So, as I was pondering the implications of wearing a balaclava, my husband announced me that he was going to go for a run too.
Having two small children, we can only run taking turns and since he procrastinates far more when it comes to running than I do, naturally, I suggested that he should go first. This then led to him spending a great amount of time picking an outfit and if I were to let him leave with what he had picked out, he would have looked like a yeti on the run (which would have made an even bolder statement on passers by than me in my fuchsia overcoat). So, he went out and ran 3.5 km and then it was my turn and even if the air felt really brisk at the beginning, the experience turned out to be extremely enjoyable. I only ran 3 km, but I felt I could easily run at least another kilometer.

I am thinking about trying to do a 5k by the end of next week and maybe I will attempt a 10k for my birthday at the end of the month...

So, all in all, yay to running in the cold, but appropriate attire is mandatory!  

No comments:

Post a Comment