Thursday, January 1, 2015

From (postpartum) couch to half marathon in 4 months

As I commence this blog and this endeavor, my sweet little C is peacefully sleeping in the bed next to me (that's right, we co-sleep although he does have a nice crib, but that's another story). He will turn 3 months old in a couple of days and I just hope that what I am about to start as a New Year's resolution will not affect him in any way (I specifically refer to his precious breast-milk supply here).
Having got full clearance at my 6 weeks postpartum appointment, I decided to attempt one of my dreams, that of running a half marathon (the full dream, of course, involves a full marathon, but that will have to wait :) ... you see, I am not totally crazy).
Why so soon after giving birth? ... Well, why not? C is my second child (D has just turned 2 almost 2 months ago) and with the second pregnancy I had gained far more weight than I would have wanted to (about 20 kg) and I felt my bones, muscles and ligaments really struggle with the extra kilograms. The excess is almost gone now, but toning and proper fitness level are paramount for me as I feel that this is my way of trying to prevent postpartum depression (I've had postpartum depression with D to some degree, but nothing to serious. However, this time around I know for sure that if I don't take action, it will come about and it will be much much worse). I want to make this clear: I am not on some kind of diet.. I want to be a healthy breastfeeding mom... but my body was longing to get rid of the excess and I solved the problem with conscious eating and good hydration. I impetuously feel the need to engage in some kind of physical activity , but since my schedule is very busy and we live near a beautiful park with awesome trails, running is the answer. It requires no extra gear (except proper shoes and attire of course), it can be done anytime and I can run for as long as I have time to.
I am starting this blog to write down and monitor my physical activities in preparation of the race which will take place in the second half of April. I've already started running 2-3 times a week and I can run 4 km without becoming completely drained of energy, so I think that is a fair start.
Because my schedule is so busy, my entries will be brief and to the point (I am an engineer turned PM :) ), or at least I will try to keep them that way.
So, with God's help, let's proceed! (I've already signed up for the race and paid the fee, so if I won't be able to show up, I'll have something else other than pride to lose) 

No comments:

Post a Comment